NIFOC

Don't understand what's going on
Woke up this morning,
All the hurt was gone
This is a new beginning
I'm back in the land of the living

Monday, July 19, 2004

THE GREATEST GIFT


Jamás podré dejarla
Mi vida es una canción
Soy escultor del alma
Soy músico y amo en clave de sol
Hasta que aguante mi voz


I love getting gifts. The only problem is I almost never get any. Nobody ever sends me a card, or anything else. And the very few I do get are usually thoughtless... something someone bought at the supermarket just to fulfill a social obligation, such as birthdays or Christmas.

Si puedes definir el odio o el amor
amigo que desilusión
No todo es blanco o negro: es gris
todo depende del matiz
busca y aprende a distinguir.


However, that's OK since many people have given me the greatest gifts without even knowing about it. To me, there's nothing greater than great music and if you introduce me to a band or performer that really touches my soul... that is, my friends, the greatest gift of all.

Y sí te sientes perdido
Con tus ojos no has de ver.
Hazlo con los de tu alma
Y encontrarás la calma
Tu rosa de los vientos seré.


I'd like to thank my high school chum Javier, who's off somewhere disecting roadkill by the Sienne, from introducing me to Rush, Dio, Iron Maiden, Charly Garcia & Sui Generis, Silvio Rodriguez, and for sharing the greatness of Jim Steinman and Meat Loaf. I'd like to thank my life-long friend Andre for insisting time and time again on Fleetwood Mac, Emerson Lake & Palmer, The Doors, Soda Stereo and Miguel Bose.

Hay que fracasar y a veces fondo tocar
Para ver la luz y esta vida apreciar
La felicidad no consiste en todo tener
Si no en saber sacar, lo bueno que te da


I'd like to thank Oscar, who I haven't seen in ages, for Scorpions. I'd like to thank Chuchullo for Triumph and Pink Floyd. I'd like to thank Jorge, who's off by the Thames making the world see a little bit better, for Saga, Journey, Foreigner, Survivor and Rainbow. I'd like to thank Teto for Monty Phyton. I'd like to thank Irene for Cirque Du Soleil and Les Luthiers. I'd like to thank Lissette, the closest thing I have ever had to a sister, for Sabina and Mecano. I'd like to thank my dearest Patty for Arjona and Alux Nahual. I'd like to thank Jerry for Garth Brooks and Ray Stevens. I'd like to thank my buddy Mark for all the blues and country. Thank you all of you from the bottom of my heart, I am forever in your debt.

Cuando veas una estrella fugaz
Guárdala en tu corazón
Es el alma de alguien que consiguió dar a los suyos su amor
Cuando oigas a un niño preguntar
Por qué el sol viene y se va
Dile: porque en esta vida no hay luz sin oscuridad


And most recently, my friend Liana, almost by accident, lead me to Mago de Oz.
Mago de Oz is basically a Heavy Metal band that mixes medieval, celtic and gypsy instrumentalization into their music... in other words, the offspring of Iron Maiden and Jethro Tull.

Si no hay pan para los tuyos
Y ves muy gordo al abad
Si su virgen viste de oro - Desnúdala
Cómo van a silenciar al jilguero o al canario
Si no hay cárcel ni tumba
Para el canto libertario


Like both Maiden and Tull, most of their albums are conceptual. Jesus de Chamberi is a Rock Opera based on the life of a Modern-day Jesus, Finisterra is a pilgrimage along the Old Way of St. James, Leyenda de la Mancha is, of course, based on Don Quijote and, their latest, Gaia tackles environmental issues. Drummer Txus, who is the heart and soul of the band, is one of the best songwriters I have ever heard... the quality of his lyrics is only comparable to the likes of Jim Steinman, Steve Harris, Ian Anderson, Joaquin Sabina and Jose Maria Cano.

Si tienes un ideal, un principio
Defiéndelo y aférrate a él,
Alguien escribió que la vida es sueño,
Y los sueños, sueños son.
Sé rebelde cómo el mar
Y sé noble porque al final
De ésta vida llevarás
Tu libertad.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home