NIFOC

Don't understand what's going on
Woke up this morning,
All the hurt was gone
This is a new beginning
I'm back in the land of the living

Wednesday, November 19, 2003

FOUR LEAF CLOVER


A couple of days ago, one of my chatting buddies asked me if I considered myself as superstitious. Of course, my first instict is to say, "NO!, NEVER! Superstitions are for the weak minded", but it made me think and reflect upon what I do every day... I know and I recognize without hesitation that I have always been quirky... I love that word, by the way... but I'm not so sure if any of my quirky quirks could be misconstrued as a superstition...

For example, in my closet, I always keep a couple of sealed packs of brand new underwear and socks... the reason is quite simple, whenever I know I'm going to have an important or meaningful day... one of those days that make a difference... I like to wear a brand new pair of underwear and a brand new pair of socks... I would like to say that the primary reason for this is comfort or reinforcement of self-esteem - but the awful truth is that is just for good luck.

By the same token, after I had a really really bad day, I take the shirt I was wearing on that particular day out of circulation... for a while or definitely depending on the situation. There are shirts that I have only worn once or twice in my life because they happened to be featured on one of those days when nobody should take your picture.

Now, there are a few rituals that I follow quietly but strictly... for example, I never sleep the night before I fly... I never really pray, except on airplane take off... on really stressful days, I need to listen to Meat Loaf's "Bat Out Of Hell" to feel that everything is going to be alright... on days when I need to perform, go on stage (for example, give a presentation), or take a hard test, I ask my wife or a very close friend for a pat on the butt for good luck... I always NEED to watch at least one Christmas related movie on Dec. 24 (What a Wonderful Life, Scrooged or Miracle on 24th Street, usually do the trick), one Jesus related movie on Good Friday (JC Superstar, Jesus of Montreal or The Last Temptation, are among my faves to fulfill this yearly requirement), a Disney movie on New Year's Day and a musical on my birthday -- If I don't, I feel that something terrible might happen.

But then again... doesn't everyone have these kinds of rituals and quirks?... And does that mean that you are superstitious?... Does luck really exist?... And if it does, can it be prevented or enhanced?.... No matter what, at the end of the day, my rituals and quirks - whether they work or not - keep me happy, comfortable and safe... And that is exactly how I want be live my life... On the dark side

Oops... I think I may have just smashed 13 black cats with a mirror...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home